How to Dealing with County Court Judgments

A county court judgments, popularly known as CCJs, are decisions on how you should pay up what is owed to your lenders, issued by a county  court after a person’s failure to repay his debt to an individual or organization

Before receiving a county court Judgement, they are usually some paperwork that is present to you, before a judgment is made.

Some of the pre-forms you may receive will include;

  • N1 FORMS-This is the claim forms, which will contain the exact amount you owe.
  • N9A-This usually contains the acceptance details of the debt. If you agree to the claim, this is the document to send
  • N9B form-this is the counter-claim pack. If you refute the claims, then this is the form to send, explaining your reasons for disagreement or defense.

Normally you are required to send the forms to their respective address depending on, whether you refute the claims or accept.

With the forms, they come with some important information. You will find, indicated clearly, the name of the court,(most CJJ are handed over by the Northampton county court),your lenders contacts and address, and the case ideal claims number which you will have to quote whenever you’re in communication with the court regarding your CJJ.

If you have no issue with the creditors’ claims, you are required to send the N9A forms to your debtors. If on the other hand, you’re not in agreement with the lenders claim, then you are required to send the N9B forms instead to the respective court. You are given a maximum of 14 days to respond in either of the above manners.

Though they courts do give some allowances for delivery days, it is critical to replay as soon as possible, failure to which the court may hand down it’s ruling against you, which can be overrated or too expensive. It is important to send the forms on time, and if you’re facing some hardships, then you can always look for a debt advisor to advise you accordingly on how you should respond.

After submitting My Forms, What Next?

As soon as the court has your response, it will begin assessing your case. The bench will work out, how much you have to pay, putting into consideration, your disposable income and financial situation. The court will then come with up with a judgments in regards to your the judgment, the court will clear the air on:

  • The full amount you owed to your lenders?
  • Modes of repayment, ie will it be in installments or in one lump sum?
  • A deadline date in which, the debt is supposed to be fully serviced?
  • Depending on the number of lenders, the court will establish a ranking in percentage, of what each creditor should receive, monthly

Depending on how your fast you satisfy the judgement,once fulfilled,your lenders can’t take any more legal actions against you

What if I Don’t Agree With the Judgments?

If you do not agree, with the courts judgement,you could request the court for a special private hearing.

This simply means your case will have to be heard on a private hearing, explaining your reason for dissatisfaction and how much you think you should pay. This though is not free, and you will have to part away with 255Euros as well as fill an application notice N224 and send it the courts.

What if I Clear My Credit owed in less than a Month?

In case you come up with the creditor’s amount, within a month after the ruling, it will clear on your credit history and lenders or banks won’t be able to find about it. This is highly valuable, especially if you are planning on getting a loan in the future.

What if I Can’t pay my Debt in Less than a Month?

If, due to some financial hardships, you won’t manage to clear your debt within 30 days, it will still be okay. As long as you pay within the deadline set out by the court, you won’t have any issue with you lenders. as far as your credit history is concerned, on its record, a “satisfied “notice will be indicated about your CJJ.

Anyone searching on the Register of Judgments, Orders, and Fines, which is an online public record, will be able to see your CJJ, with the “Satisfied” tag alongside it. This record is usually on the public domain, for six years, after which it will be cleared. This though may have an effect on your ability to be granted future loans.

It is also highly advised immediately you fully pay your debts, to contact the court and confirm of this. You will also need to send proof of payments or receipts and pay 15Euros as court fees.

What happens if you ignore a CCJ JUDGMENTS?

Further court action may be taken against you if you don’t satisfy your debtors as per the CJJ ruling. Such action may include:

  • Your lenders may be given a warrant of execution. Basically, with this, a Bailiff may visit your home, and take away your valued items.
  • The court may also issue an attachment of earnings order, which basically will give it powers to deduct a certain amount of cash from your income directly from your employer.
  • The court may issue a charging order: this would result to, the debt being tied to your property or home, thus putting it at risk of repossession by your lenders.

Having a CCJ posted or emailed to you, may cause you some worries. Experts advise against handling the issue on your own. No matter your situation, you should always ask a debt professional for help.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *